So here we are. It’s the beginning of May, 2021 and spring is in full force. Though, we did wake up to snow on the ground yesterday.
Most of our snow had all melted by April, which is really early for us. The snow from yesterday disappeared quite quickly during the day. Today, it’s bright, sunny and warm… and no bugs yet either.
Our spring flowers are starting to boom as well.
So, Dave, what have you been doing to keep yourself occupied? Well, as it so happens, I built a loft ladder. We got a job over at the metal shop for a nice looking, robust ladder going up to a loft. Here you can see it just after it was installed.
It turned out really nice, but there were a few hiccups along the way. The first being I made it too big. I account this partially due to using imperial measurements. We went to the client’s cottage and I took the measurement of the height of the wall at 105 inches. Then I came home and made a CAD drawing for the ladder using 10 feet, 5 inches, which is 125 inches. Originally, we had it finished and the client came to pick it up Easter weekend, but they brought it back the next day after discovering the error.
Needless to say, I had some more work to do, but as it turned out, this was a blessing in disguise. We had been running out of time and we did a rush job on the paint and it came out kinda blotchy, not to mention, it was really easy to peal off in several spots. So having it back in the shop, after I cut it down to the proper size, I took the time to strip all of the paint off completely. This time, when we repainted it, I did it over three days. The first time we did all of the priming and painting in one day.
Anyway, it turned out great after the refit. It’s solid steel C-channel for the frame and we had nice maple treads made by a friend of ours for the steps. The wood against the black looks really nice. We also made it so it can be pushed back against the wall when not in use as it’s in a hallway. We welded casters (that have breaks) on the bottom and attached it to the wall with a bar that passed through the C-channel. It rolls out nicely from the wall and it wasn’t too difficult to move, which had been a concern because, frankly, it’s made of steel. It weighs about 45.5kg (100lbs). But with the casters it moved nice and smoothly.
Here it is pushed up against the wall.
All in all, it was quite satisfying to see it installed and in action.