Keep your hats on, this is going to get exciting!
Continuing off from the previous post, we have made significant strides in completing our kitchen cabinet. As you can see in this first picture, we have TWO whole drawers installed!
What’s that you say? Yes, the staining faery got her hands on them and now the drawers are stained. But let’s not stop there, let’s see if we can go for all three drawers…
Yes, we can. Look at that. In case you are wondering, that top drawer is stained as well, it’s just that Kat decided not to use the dark red for parts that weren’t going to be seen.
So, we have three drawers installed, what’s next? Making it look nice, that’s what. It’s time to make the front facing pieces. These are the decorative outer layer that everyone will see when then come into the trailer. If you remember from the last post, I bought some red oak veneer on press board for this purpose.
I won’t bore you with the details of cutting out the pieces, as there was enough of that in the last post. However, I was digging around in a box of stuff my Dad had given me and I found a roll of this stuff.
For those unfamiliar with cabinetry, that is wooden edging that you iron on to cover the ugly inner press board looking parts. In case you want to know what that looks like, here it is.
The roll I had was pine, so it doesn’t precisely match the red oak, but we weren’t going to be fussy. It was great that I found the roll in the first place.
I had to borrow a friend’s iron to do the job, but I have to say it went pretty well. You really want to go over it several times with the iron to make certain that the glue melted and has made a good bond with the edge of the board. If you press on it, it shouldn’t bounce back. That’s the rule I used, anyway.
Here is a picture of a finished corner.
Now doesn’t that look a lot nicer than the innards of the press board? I thought you might agree.
I also have a picture of the front face piece for the top drawer, with completed edging.
After putting edging on all of the drawer faces and cabinet doors, they were all shipped over to the staining and varnishing department to make it look even more awesome. How awesome, you say? Well, here is a picture of one of the drawers with its finished face on.
Pretty snazzy, eh? Kat did an amazing job with the staining and varnishing. It looks even better in person.
Here is that same drawer, now back in its place.
The other two drawers now look naked compared to the one on the bottom. We better fix that.
There’s no stopping there either. We did the cupboard doors too.
That was just after I installed the doors and they needed some adjustment, as you may be able to tell as the one on the right looks a little crooked.
Here you can see the cabinet with the cupboard doors open, along with the top drawer pulled out partially.
For the final frosting, we even put handles on everything. It’s a bit like making a cake: the innards of the cabinet are the cake part, the facing is the frosting and the handles are the decorative frosting roses 🙂
By this point I had also fiddled around with the fine settings on the cupboard doors so they fit nicely now. I have to say, this turned out awesome. Yes, there were a few mistakes made, but nothing super bad and nothing that caused any injuries or extra expenses. Hooray for us!
It’s not quite one hundred percent done yet. I still have two sliding shelves to put in the big interior, but I wanted to get the cupboard doors in first to make sure I left enough room on the sides so the sliding shelf won’t hit the hinges or edge of the door. It shouldn’t be too much longer. We’ve already started filling the drawers and it’s making our life just that much easier.
Kat and I are already looking towards the next major project too. Never a dull moment here, that’s for sure.