So we left off yesterday having finished the trimming and extra spray foaming and we had put up two of the panels on the ceiling. Today, we started with putting 6mil plastic vapour barrier on the floor. You would think this would be easy, but that would be failing to take into account the arguing you have with your partner about the proper way to go about said task 😛
We used two faced tape to stick the vapour barrier to the floor, which didn’t work as well as you might think. I think part of the reason for its sub optimal performance is the temperature. A lot of things don’t stick very well when they are cold and it was only around 6C (43F) when we got to the trailer this morning. We futzed with that for quite a while and then it was 13:30 all of a sudden so we decided to go for lunch.
Here is a picture of what the floor looked like before going for lunch.
After we returned, Kat worked on taping the edges of the vapour barrier to the wall. Here you can see her with a weird look on her face. That’s because she just taped her behind to the wall.
While she was working on that, I started to work on the paneling for the back wall. I cut two nice pieces to fit at the bottom of the wall and loosely put them into position for this shot.
Unfortunately, the best place to do the cutting is outside on top of the picnic table. Using that long metal strip we removed from the floor, I can clamp it down to the table and make really nice straight cuts. The paneling is so thin that I can cut it with a utility knife which is also a nice feature as it means I don’t lose any of the panel due to the width of a saw blade. However, it being outside means you’re subject to the conditions of the weather, and, of course, it decided to rain this afternoon.
Fortunately, for some of the shorter cuts, I could do those inside. I put a spare piece of OSB on the floor and used that as my cutting surface. This worked fairly well, but I missed being able to use the clamps to hold down my cutting guide.
In any event, I cut out the two holes for the electrical receptacles and glued the panels on. This was a bit challenging because we only have one rib going across the top and one going down the outer side for each of the two pieces. There is nothing on the bottom to attach the panel to. On the left side I was able to clamp the piece to the horizontal rib, but there was too much foam on the right side for this, so I had to resort to leaning heavy objects onto the panel to give it enough pressure for the glue to bind.
Fortunately, on all of the other walls we put up the wood strapping, so I can use short staples to hold the panel on the wall while the glue sets. Originally we were just going to glue the panels, but after going through the difficulties with the strapping, we decided a few staples would make our lives easier.
As you may, or may not, know, wooden strapping is pretty rough stuff and it is rarely straight. There are often jagged pieces and they are bent or twisted. Trying to take a long section of that and glue it on straight to a metal stud is nigh impossible as the warp in the wood pulls it off the stud. I solved this by cutting it into much shorter pieces; nothing longer than 24 inches. This got around the warps and bends, but it does mean a lot more cutting. I am not going to do that with the paneling, I’m sorry.
Anyway, by the time we got all that done, it was around 17:00 and we decided to pack it up. Kat did bring in all of the rigid insulation that will be going on the floor though.
I should mention we got all of that insulation by pulling it out of the dumpster. It’s a bit difficult to fathom, but around large housing developments where they are building cookie cutter houses, you can find this and all sorts of other useful materials in the garbage. All the better for us; it didn’t cost us a thing 🙂